By Heidi J. Ellsworth, Partner, RoofersCoffeeShop.com.
Davis Memorial Foundation grants twenty scholarships
This year’s Western Roofing Expo (WRE) was tremendous. With over 4,000 attendees, the WRE offered educational classes, exhibits and networking events. The RoofersCoffeeShop® booth was buzzing as we caught up with old and new friends of the Coffee Shop. My favorite part of WRE are all the activities around the Davis Memorial Foundation.
I am very proud to be a trustee of the Davis Memorial Foundation. I get to work with committed and passionate roofing colleagues who believe in our youth and this great industry. Every year, the Davis Memorial hosts three amazing events; a golf tournament, clays shoot and auction.
This year, those events raised close to $70,000.00. Last year through additional fundraising, we were able to raise $100,000.00. That $100,000 was raised in celebration of the twenty-year anniversary of the Davis Memorial Foundation. Due to those efforts in 2018 we were able to hand out 20 scholarships for $5000.00 each at a special awards ceremony before the auction.
I was able to visit with a couple of the recipients at the ceremony. One was Ashley Moore, she is going to school to be a welder. We were very taken with her and her ambition. Her daughter and grandfather were both there to support her. The other young man Riley Govan is the son of Derrick Govan. I have worked with the Govan family out of Denver, Colorado for close to 20 years. I did not make the connection until Riley and Derrick walked up and thanked all the trustees. All the young people inspired and impressed us.
Roofing is a family. We all support each other, and our travels and activities continue to connect. It is amazing to see these young people involved in the roofing industry. I believe that it is groups like Davis Memorial that are setting the tone for welcoming our next generation. From everything I saw in those 150 applications the future is looking great.
A special call out to my fellow trustees including Chairperson Chuck Chapman of Tecta, Greg Bloom of Beacon, Bill Bailey of CI Services, Travis Nelson of Brown Roofing and Thomas Papas of WSRCA. We reviewed over 150 applications and were very proud to grant the following 20 students scholarships:
- Jordan Cyrus Fatemi – Mira Costa High School
- Riley Brennan Govan – Pomona High School
- Lauren Marie Barker – Oregon State University
- Roman Goff – Trinity High School
- Sarah Rebecca Mason – Lake Oswego High School
- Taylor Darius Fatemi – Mira Costa High School
- Blake Norrid – Texas A&M University
- Branden Ray Clark – Brigham Young University
- Ivy Rivas – University of California, Davis
- Jonah Dionne – Rocklin High School
- Koby Ramage – Redwood High School
- Maria Guadalupe Vielma – University of New Mexico
- Salvador Flores Garcia – University of California, Berkeley
- Spencer Boone Winkle – California State University San Bernardino, Palm Desert Campus
- Tess Robinson – San Juan College
- Ashley Moore – Orange Coast College
- Beverly Pittman – Columbia College
- Cassandra Joanne Gascon – Hemet High School
- Pedro Negron III – Fullerton College
- Ryland Phipps – Arizona Connections Academy
From the Road,
Heidi Ellsworth is owner of HJE Consulting Group and a partner in RoofersCoffeeShop.com. See her full bio here.
Source: rooferconfee =>The Future is Bright