Snow, freezing rain and hail are no one’s friend, but they can be particularly damaging to both commercial and residential roofs.
Fortunately, having the right roofing products in place can make a big difference in protecting your roof from the elements, as can taking a few preventive measures before the weather turns grim.
Here are five steps contractors can use and share with their customers to ensure their roof is protected during the cold winter months:
- Get your roof and flashing professionally inspected before winter. This will highlight any existing problems and ensure that your roof can meet its design load (did you know that each cubic foot of snow can weigh up to 20 pounds?).
- Consider adding a cover board. A rigid cover board can protect your insulation and membrane from hail, which can ruin a roof in seconds. Hail not only indents your insulation but can also tear your membrane, leading to leaks that may impact your building for months.
- Inspect for damaged or shrinking insulation. Maintaining your roof’s R value, or resistance to heat flow, ensures that your building is energy efficient and helps keep your energy costs low.
- Clean all drains and gutters; clogged drains can lead to ice dams, which can result in a leak.
- Check all caulk joints to ensure they’re not cracked. Repair them as soon as possible, since winter will only make them worse and lead to a leak.
USG’s portfolio of roofing products is designed to protect roofs from a variety of threats. Our core Roof Boards are as follows:
USG Securock ® Brand Gypsum-Fiber Roof Board’s unique, fiber-reinforced, homogenous composition gives the panel strength and water resistance through to the core.
- Uses up to 25% fewer fasteners
- Cover board for fully adhered and mechanically attached systems
- Exceptional bond and low surface absorption
- Superior wind-uplift performance
- 97% recycled content
USG Securock ® Brand UltraLight Glass-Mat Roof Board has a lightweight core, is up to 18% lighter than competitive glass-mat roof boards.
- Cover board for mechanically attached systems
- Up to 18% less weight than competitive glass-mat roof board*
- Less itch
- Scores and snaps cleanly and easily
- Unlimited slope in fire barrier applications
USG Securock ® Brand Cement Roof Board is designed to enhance the entire roofing system as a cover, USG Securock ® Brand Cement Roof Board can be used with a variety of membranes and systems and is ideal for applications such as liquid-applied membranes and cold mastic modified bitumen.
- Lightest cement roof board in the industry
- Ideal cover board in system applications such as liquid-applied membranes or as a parapet, fire or thermal barrier roof board
- Easy to cut and fasten
Learn more about USG Roofing Solutions and how you can protect your roof from winter damage here.
*Lightweight core is only available on 1/2″ and 5/8″ thicknesses
The post Roof Protection from Winter Damage: Tips for Contractors and Their Customers appeared first on RoofersCoffeeShop.com.
Source: rooferconfee =>Roof Protection from Winter Damage: Tips for Contractors and Their Customers